Hard Work Does Not Lead to Success (Your Employer Won't Help You Reach Your Goals).

I've heard it my whole life, that you go to work for a good company, and then that company is supposed to take care of you and your career.  The good paying job is there because as you look after your companies wants, they look after your wants.

But I just haven't encountered it yet.

When I worked at Walmart I saved them over $140,000 in shrink and made them over $150,000 selling additional items to customers that wouldn't have otherwise thought to buy the items.  What did that get me?  A forty cent raise.

While working at my current job I've saved them over a quarter million dollar in inventory that would otherwise have been scrapped.  I've put in no less then 60 hours a week for over a year and a half and never missed a second.  This has also got me a forty cent raise.

So no, doing a good job will not get you rewarded.  It will not move you to early retirement.  It just doesn't matter how much money you make someone else, they will not give you any cut of it.

In his book "The Millionaire in the Mirror" Gene Bedell says something along the lines of there being only two tasks that you should be working on.  The first type of task is is doing whatever will get you closer to your goal.  Most of your time should be spent here.  The second type of task is is doing whatever will prevent you from failing.  Only a minimum amount of time should be spent here.

It pains me to say this because it is against my nature.  I like to work hard and do a good job.  But it will not help me achieve my goals in life.  I cannot get out of poverty with it.  I cannot retire early with it.

Hard work does not lead to success, it merely reduces your chance of failure.

Only focused work will get you there.

Own yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

College Won't Give You a Good Paying Job

People Who Win the Lottery End up Broke

Helping a Friend Move Out