Don't invest in index funds if you want to sleep well at night.

The other day I was told that I should invest money into VTSAX.

It was a well intended suggestion, so I decided to look into it.

As of today, according to Morningstar, VTSAX is an index fund that owns over 3500 positions in stocks.

Holy crap!

If I can't even value one company and pay fair value for it, how do they expect me to know and value a basket of over 3500 of them?  This is insanity.  This is stay up all night worrying insanity.

Thank you Coca Cola for being so simple.

Before you tell me Coca Cola is not so simple, that's exactly my point!  If you can't agree that a company like coke is simple to value then how can anyone value and obtain a fair price for over 3500 of them?

Disclaimer:  I don't own VTSAX as of this writing.  I do own KO.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

College Won't Give You a Good Paying Job

People Who Win the Lottery End up Broke

Helping a Friend Move Out