I got a .40 cent raise and don't know how I feel about it

I work 60 hours a week and on my own initiative I correct millions of dollars in mis-charged inventory.

So when I heard that raises were coming I got excited.  Finally I would be given my due for all the hard work that I've done.  My boss surely sees the excellent work that I do and will reward me, right?
Forty cents.  That is all the raise was.  Meanwhile everyone else in the factory has gotten so many raises over the past two years that a person can have no experience, no qualifications, and get hired on full time to make more money then I make, even after the raise.

So now I"m conflicted.

When I found out I was so angry that I couldn't even speak.  I've given two years of my life to becoming a valuable member of the business, and the guy doesn't even value me as much as someone new off the street?  IF I PUT THE COMPANY INTERESTS FIRST, THEN THE COMPANY BETTER RETURN THE FAVOR AND PUT MY INTERESTS FIRST.

Yet a part of me is thankful for the forty cent raise.  Assuming I work every week for sixty hours then my gross income will increase by $1456 a year, netting roughly $1019.2.  That is life changing money.  Since my goal is 300,000 in ten years, an extra 10000 over those ten years brings me 3 1/3% closer.

Just before I went to bed I was reading Dale Carnegie's book, "How to quit worrying and start living."  It says something to the effect of people are naturally ungrateful, and even Jesus after healing ten lepers only had one stick around and thank him.

So what do I do?  Do I thank my boss for the raise, do I demand more, do I do nothing, do I find another job?

Its all baffling to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

College Won't Give You a Good Paying Job

People Who Win the Lottery End up Broke

Helping a Friend Move Out