Parking Lot Wisdom

I'm not an enviro-mental, so I don't go out in the wilds too often.

Thus it was exciting to take a stroll through the parking lot during lunch.

What strikes me as odd is that everyone's vehicles were in mostly good shape.

If people were truly acting out of a desire to hurt others, then all the windows would be shot out, all the doors would be keyed, the tires would be slashed, etc.

Thats just not the case.

When I worked as a Customer Service Manager at Walmart I used to marvel at the 95% of people.  None of them were acting in their own best interest.  In fact they would frequently act against it.

For the life of me I could not understand why, until I came across Charlie Munger's mental models.

People do not act in their own best interest.  People do not act for money.  People do not act for entertainment.  People do not act out of a sense of justice.  Instead the brain causes people to take 'short cuts' in their actions.  People are just running software, aka the mental models.

I believe it was Dan Ariley1 who said that people can see visual illusions and understand them pretty easily.  Well the brain runs almost the same way with mental illusions.

I think knowing that people are not acting for their own best interest, rather they are acting out mental models and can't see any different is a huge point!

Yet despite knowing that I can't convince the boss to pay me any more then near minimum wage.  He must be blind to my value.

References: I think it was in his book Predictably Irrational.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

College Won't Give You a Good Paying Job

People Who Win the Lottery End up Broke

Helping a Friend Move Out